Home

Case Review
Hamilton Enquiry
Whats New
How to Help
Links

New GuestMap Guest Book.

The Barron Inquiry - Draft Terms of Reference for Inquiry - A Fresh Inquest 2005 Inquest Account - BIRW Report - Witness Account - Ludlow Family Account - Sunday World report May 1976 - Meeting the Police OmbudsmanEd Moloney Radio Interview - 25th Anniversary - Profile - Questions - Photographs - Press Release - Letter to  RUC - Magill article 1999 - Press Coverage - Barron Report Published - Ludlow Family Response to Barron Report - Download the Barron Report from the Oireachtas website (pdf file) - Statement from Justice for the Forgotten - Joint Oireachtas Committee Request for Submissions - Joint statement from Justice for the Forgotten, Relatives for Justice and the Pat Finucane Centre - Download Transcript of Ludlow family meeting with Oireachtas Sub-Committee (Word file)

Original Ludlow Family website - Second Ludlow Family website - The Dundalk Bombing


The Belfast Telegraph, 9 February 2006:

Call for Ludlow murder inquiry


International experts should be used, says journalist

By Michael McHugh

09 February 2006

A panel of international experts should be set up to conduct a public inquiry into the loyalist murder of a Co Louth man 30 years ago, an investigative journalist has said.

Former Sunday Tribune reporter Ed Moloney yesterday described the circumstances surrounding the murder of Seamus Ludlow (47) in May 1976 as "scandalous" and called for a full inquiry.

He was speaking before an Irish parliamentary committee which is probing alleged failings by the gardai investigation into the shooting by four Red Hand Commando suspects.

Questions which would be addressed by an inquiry include why gardai failed to interview the suspects despite their details being passed on by the RUC in 1979 and why files were lost by gardai at the time.

There has already been a gardai review of the original investigation as well as an inquiry by Judge Henry Barron, whose report the committee is considering.

Mr Moloney, who lives in New York but spent 30 years in Northern Ireland, said: "I firmly believe that an outside police force, not the gardai, should have been put in charge of the (re)investigation of the killing.

"An international judge should have performed the work (of Henry Barron).

"A public inquiry should include independent European members. We have nothing to lose but everything to gain."

Mr Moloney admitted that he didn't know if there was collusion between the security forces north or south of the border and the gunmen.

He added that the family had been treated in the "most abominable way" because they were not in a position to influence people.

Mr Moloney's solicitor, Frances Keenan, was also present at the hearing and said he had been contacted by another client who would give evidence on the Ludlow affair at a public inquiry.

Earlier, Irish Justice Minister Michael McDowell told the committee that there could be "constitutional issues" in holding a public inquiry based upon the criminal evidence surrounding the case when the Department of Public Prosecutions in Northern Ireland has already decided not to prosecute the four suspects in the case


I Top

Download the Barron Report from the Oireachtas website (pdf file)

SUPPORT THE SEAMUS LUDLOW APPEAL FUND

Bank of Ireland
78 Clanbrassil Street
Dundalk
County Louth
Ireland

Account No. 70037984 

   Thank You. 

Copyright 2006 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: February 09, 2006