The Irish Sun, 4 November 2005:
Storm as Ludlow report is revealed
By James McNamara
Red-faced Justice Minister Michael McDowell last night admitted the family of 1976 murder victim Seamus Ludlow should have been warned that the report into his death was being published yesterday.
Heartbroken relatives claim they only heard the findings about the Loyalist killing were to be made public when a JOURNALIST called them on Wednesday.
but grovelling Mr McDowell said they should have been told of yesterday's report - given to the Government more than a YEAR ago.
He assured the Dail a copy of the findings was now on its way to the family.
The family said yesterday they would not attend the publication of the report. Ludlow's nephew Jimmy Sharkey said: "We heard it second-hand, maybe even third-hand.
"If we went we would be asked to comment - and we were not prepared to comment on a report we hadn't seen."
Opposition TDs slammed the "shabby" treatment of the Dundalk forestry worker's family.
The report by Justice Henry Barron - given to the Government 14 months ago - names four main murder suspects.
but it concludes gardai decided not to quiz the men in the North because the RUC might have demanded reciprocal rights here.
Ludlow's family have always claimed there was a Garda cover-up after the 47-year-old Catholic sawmill operator was blasted three times in the chest and dumped near his home in May 1976.
The family claim there was collusion on both sides of the Border and have long campaigned for a full public inquiry.
Labour justice spokesman Joe costello said the report showed the family had been treated badly by authorities in both the North and in the Republic.
A special Oireachtas sub-committee will hold public hearings on the report in January.
SUPPORT THE SEAMUS LUDLOW APPEAL FUNDBank of Ireland 78 Clanbrassil Street Dundalk County Louth Ireland
Account No. 70037984