The Barron Inquiry - Draft Terms of Reference for Inquiry - A Fresh Inquest - 2005 Inquest Account - BIRW Report - Witness Account - Ludlow Family Account - Sunday World report May 1976 - Meeting the Police Ombudsman - Ed Moloney Radio Interview - 25th Anniversary - Profile - Questions - Photographs - Press Release - Letter to RUC - Magill article 1999 - Press Coverage - Barron Report Published - Ludlow Family Response to Barron Report - Download the Barron Report from the Oireachtas website (pdf file) - Statement from Justice for the Forgotten - Joint Oireachtas Committee Request for Submissions - Joint statement from Justice for the Forgotten, Relatives for Justice and the Pat Finucane Centre - Download Transcript of Ludlow family meeting with Oireachtas Sub-Committee (Word file) - Publication of the Oireachtas Report - Download the Final Oireachtas Sub-Committee Report on the murder of Seamus Ludlow from the Oireachtas website (pdf file) - Ludlow family press release in response to the Oireachtas Report
The Irish Daily Mail, 31 March 2006:
Probe into shooting of forest worker 30 years ago
Daily Mail Reporter
An investigation into the murder of a Dundalk forestry worker by paramilitaries 30 years ago is to be reopened.
Garda commissioner Noel Conroy made the decision after the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Justice criticised the original inquiry into the death of Seamus Ludlow in a report yesterday.
The committee recommended a commission of inquiry be set up after it emerged the four suspects in the 1976 loyalist murder identified by the Royal Ulster Constabulary were never questioned by gardai.
A Garda spokesman said a senior officer would be appointed to re-examine all files related to the case and re-investigate where appropriate in an effort to bring those responsible to justice
"This investigation will necessitate working closely with officers of the Police Service of Northern Ireland," he said.
"The Garda officer concerned will report to Assistant Commissioner, National Support Services, who will advise on the appropriate direction of the investigation."
The Joint Committee on Justice said the Ludlow family were treated in a very unsatisfactory manner by the gardai in the aftermath of the murder.
'The gardai do not seem to have made any inquiries in Northern Ireland in 1976 or seriously considered the possibility of collusion,' its report found..
Committee chairman Sean Ardagh acknowledged it had not met the family's demands for a public inquiry but said it felt a commission of investigation was the best way of getting information speedily.
In a statement, the Ludlow family said they were pleased with the committee's conclusion that they had been treated in an appalling manner but insisted a public inquiry was the only way to get to the truth.
The committee held hearings in January and February into Judge Henry Barron's report into the Ludlow murder.
It found that despite submissions from gardai that they could not travel across the border to interview suspects, interviews had been conducted in Northern Ireland by members of the force on at least three occasions.
Judge Barron found Mr Ludlow, an unmarried forestry worker, had been the victim of a random sectarian killing and that there was absolutely no evidence to suggest he had any republican connections.
After his death, gardai wrongly told the family that he had been shot by the IRA as an informer and this led to deep divisions which lasted for two decades.
They also failed to give them adequate notice about the inquest into his death and no member of the family was present.
The committee expressed the gravest concerns about the role collusion played in the murder of Seamus Ludlow and said it was undisputed that two of the suspects were members of the Ulster Defence Regiment.
The proposed commission of investigation will have the power to compel the attendance of witnesses and to order the discovery of documents, but it will be held in private.
Michael Donegan, a nephew of Seamus Ludlow, said the family would continue their campaign for a public inquiry.
The four loyalists suspected of murdering Seamus Ludlow were arrested in Northern Ireland in 1998 but were released without charge on the advice of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Both the Garda Commissioner and Justice Minister Michael McDowell have apologised to the Ludlow family for their treatment and for the inadequate Garda investigation.
I Top I
SUPPORT THE SEAMUS LUDLOW APPEAL FUNDBank of Ireland 78 Clanbrassil Street Dundalk County Louth Ireland
Account No. 70037984